I'll tell you this much. Being up after 2 isn't fun if you don't have one of the following things:
1. A good book
2. A good man
3. A variety of drinks
4. Your smoke brand or variety of choice
5. A dramatic deadline
6. An inspirational cause
7. A long distance to cover across an unfamiliar territory
8. A minimum of a trilogy's worth of movies that you are watching from beginning to end as God intended.
9. One or more hysterical friends to be bailed out of a situation that will provide a good, entertaining story at future late nights.
10. One or more hysterical friends who are bailing you out of a situation that will provide a good, entertaining story at future late nights.
So maybe not drinking a mochalicious coffee each day means that I won't be the next great philosopher. But who knows, perhaps people were happier drinking their small beers and wine throughout the day, living life at a slower, less enlightened or less reasonable pace.
Ok, they were unbathed, untoothed, and frequently dead by 35. And don't get me started on the stink factor. But a society with a widespread, large scale buzz is still pretty interesting.